One of the hardest decisions for a working mum is who to trust with their care of their child. When deciding on a crèche we recommend visiting a few to get a general feel of how a place operates. Watch out for how the adults interact with the children and whether the children seem happy to be at crèche. Ask lots of questions during your visit and after if that is when they come to mind. At Crawford Childcare we recommend taking a list of things you would like to ask about. We have put together a list of 10 questions we consider crucial when choosing a childcare service. Take a look:
- What was the motivation behind starting the childcare facility?
- Do you follow the National Standards and Themes of Siolta and Aistear in your service? – Don’t be afraid to ask for examples.
- Do you have an open door policy?
- What is your behaviour management policy?
- Ask how many children can be in a particular room and about adult:child ratios.
- Is a keyworker system in operation?
- How are the individual needs of the children met in the service?
- What is your safe sleep policy?
- What meals are supplied by the crèche?
- What are the qualification levels of the staff team?
After choosing a crèche be sure that the child will only be allowed to be collected by persons nominated by you. Give contact numbers in case of emergencies. Don’t always announce your visits to crèche. Take your child’s happiness about going to crèche as an indicator to how they are being looked after. Talk to your child’s key worker and make sure you get daily updates about your child’s care. Working in partnership with a high quality childcare service will ensure that your child has the best possible start in life.